Wondering why your branded Sony Headphones stopped sounding that loud? Or their sound quality isn’t the same as when you first bought them! Let me tell you, it isn’t about the brand that you have picked. Any techno gadget can reduce its efficiency quickly if we don’t pay much attention to its cleaning and maintenance regimen.
One of the potential reasons can be dirt and sweat accumulation. As with time, there is we dust, gunk, and earwax buildup that has not been cleaned quite often as it should. Or might be you haven’t attempted to clean them at all.
Anyhow, try your hands at cleaning them before thinking about taking your headphones for repair. This article will help you just do that as it has gathered all the relevant information and easy-to-follow steps on how to clean your Sony Headphones effectively within no time.
Let’s get your headphones back into their mint condition!
How To Clean Sony Headphones
Before you start this wonderful cleaning regimen. You must know the basic things that are required for cleaning your headphones. Also, knowing the necessary precautions to take can save your device from getting further damage while cleaning.
Precautions To Take Before Cleaning Sony Headphones
Make sure to give read, a few points that will save you tons of effort into going waste.
- Be careful not to use a cloth soaked in water. Always squeeze the extra water before cleaning your Sony Headphones
- It is always good to know the IP Rating (the amount of water and dust a product can resist) of your Sony Headphones. Most of them have it while few headphones don’t.
- Always use the diluted neutral detergent solution to clean off any stubborn debris from the Sony Headphones. Never use any hash chemicals such as alcohol, benzene, or thinner that can damage the outer layer of the product.
- While removing ear tips in the case of in-ear headphones, do not take them off from the polyurethane foam, shown in the picture below. Instead, gently pull it out in a twisting and pulling motion.
- Discard any cracked or broken ear tips as they can get fragmented while using. And the pieces can be left in the ear causing ear discomfort or injury.
- Never clean the dust and dirt off the headphones with wet wipes.
- Don’t immerse or wash the ear tips with water. This will deteriorate its life quite fast.
- Using any adhesives or poking sharp objects such as metal, toothpicks, etc can easily damage your headphones. Avoid using it for cleaning purposes.
- Do not clean your Sony Headphones near the washing sink to prevent any accidental drops.
- Be sure to wipe any moisture or water drops before putting the headphones away or into their case. Because this will prevent the process of corrosion that can shorten the lifespan of your headphones as well as the case.
Supplies You’ll Need For Cleaning Sony Headphones
- A bowl with warm water.
- Soft detergent/ liquid soap.
- 2 soft lint-free clothes.
- Few cotton tips/ Q-tips.
- Sony Headphones.
Procedure To Clean Sony Headphones
- Pour a neutral detergent or a mild liquid soap into a warm bowl of water. Make a soapy solution.
- Now take a piece of soft towel and soak it in the water.
- Squeeze any extra water completely until the cloth becomes damp.
- Gently start cleaning the earpads from every direction.
- Avoid putting too much pressure and try to be gentle as possible with a cloth on the synthetic leather.
- If there is any stubborn dirt that refuses to come out on the first go. Be patient and have a thorough cleaning a few times will get that dirt out.
- Pat, it dry as soon as you clean the earpads to prevent it from getting cracked by moisture.
- Clean the base of the earpads as it accumulates dirt on the inside as well.
- Dip a cotton bud into the warm soapy water then soak the extra liquid in a dry fiber cloth.
- Start cleaning those hard-to-reach areas on the inside of earpads where dust can easily accumulate. Wipe the moist area with a clean dry cloth simultaneously.
- Take the fresh cotton bud soaked not wet into the soapy water and clean off all the hinges and screw areas.
- Wipe clean all the outer surfaces of earpads and headband area. Dry them as soon as you get them clean with a moist cloth.
- Perform the same procedure with the headphone’s headband cushion as it absorbs scalp oils and dirt.
- After cleaning, let the headphones soak any moisture or water into the dried piece of cloth.
Tip: Wring any extra water from the cloth before cleaning the headphones. Because they aren’t waterproof and the liquid can damage the inner electrical components of the headphones.
Warning: Be gentle while cleaning the base of earpads to avoid any excessive pressure on the drivers present inside of the headphones.
How To Clean Sony Headphones Case?
A: Take a dry piece of lint-free, soft cloth and wipe the exterior of the charging case. If there are stubborn stains on your Sony Headphones’ case, take a cloth slightly damped in a gentle detergent solution and wipe it off from all over. Use the same soft dry cloth for cleaning the inside of the case and carefully wipe the charging contact points as well. Prevent any water leakage into the case while performing the cleaning procedure.
How to clean the Sony Headphones cushion?
A: All you need is a soft microfiber cloth slightly damped in warm soapy water. Wipe the headband’s cushion to get all the oils and debris off. In case it doesn’t get cleaned in first few times, repeat the wiping motion a few times more until you get a clean brand new surface. It is crucial to pat the headband’s cushion dry after wiping it with the damped cloth.
How to clean the Sony XM4 Headphones?
A: Use a soft piece of cloth damped into soapy warm water. Start with the general overall cleaning. Gently wipe the outer area and the inner portion of the earpads as well. Use cotton buds damped in the same solution to get to the areas where a piece of cloth couldn’t reach and do the perfect cleaning. Don’t forget to clean the headband cushion. Lastly, wipe all the moist surfaces with a dried cloth.
How to clean the Sony XM3 Headphones?
A: Sony XM3 Headphones are not water and sweat-resistant, give extra care while cleaning these devices as any drop going inside can cause damage to the electrical parts of your headphones. Gently clean both the earpads’ exterior and interior surfaces. To reach areas that a piece of cloth couldn’t, use cotton buds dipped in the soapy solution to do the proper cleaning. Wipe clean the headband at the end.
How to clean the Sony XM5 Headphones?
A: Start by wiping the headphone’s earpads from every direction with a soft piece of cloth damped in a warm soapy water solution. Gently clean the exterior and interior surfaces of earpads and wipe them dry simultaneously with a soft dry cloth. Wipe clean the headband and its cushion with the same damped cloth. Don’t forget to apply the cloth to the hinges and screw areas.
How to clean the smelly Sony Headphones?
A: If you wear your Sony headphones frequently while doing your workout sessions. Then it is a common occurrence to encounter those smelly headphones quite often. However, if you do the general overall cleaning of earpads with a headband and its cushion with a soft cloth damped in the warm soapy solution. And then dry them as soon as you clean them before storing them in the case will make them fresh and smell free on every use.
How to clean the Sony Bluetooth Headphones?
A: Start with using a soft piece of cloth dampened in warm, soapy water to wipe the earpads of the headphones from all angles. Earpads should be gently cleaned on both the inside and outside, then both surfaces should be dried off with a soft, dry cloth. Use the same moist towel to wipe the headband and its cushion. Don’t forget to wipe clean the hinge and screw places with the cloth as well.
How to clean the Sony WF-1000 XM4 Headphones?
A: Remove the ear tips in a twist and pull motion. Start with cleaning the outer surfaces of the charging case and earbuds with a soft dry cloth. Now wipe the charging contact points on the case and on the earbuds with the same dry cloth. Clean the sound outlet hole with a damp cloth to get rid of any dirt or foreign substance. Drain the sound hole facing it towards a dried cloth and give it a shake so that the remaining water can be absorbed in the cloth. Now perform the same for microphone holes (2 holes) to get the extra water out on that same cloth. Air dry both the earbuds and ear tips at room temperature then attach both and place them into the charging case.
This article will provide you with thorough guidelines for cleaning Sony Headphones in the best way possible. As your headphones not only absorbs the sebum and oils of the ear and scalp but also provide a favorable environment for many bacterias. If you religiously do the cleaning of your premium-looking headphones, it will not only prolong their lifespan but also saves you enough money for getting them repaired. Once you get the hang of it, it will become an effortless task that would come as second nature to you.